Trend and Seasonality in Prices and Arrivals of Bengal Gram
Background: To find out the fluctuation in the prices and arrivals of the Bengal gram crop.
Method: The study was conducted for the period of 2003-2016 by collecting secondary data from APMC market. The major APMC Markets are selected purposively on the basis of high prices and arrivals in Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh which are the major Bengal gram growing states of India.
Findings: There is a positive and significant growth rate has been observed in the prices of selected APMC markets Bareilly and SHUJALPUR which is 0.78 and 0.49 respectively but there observed a positive and insignificant growth rate in the arrivals which is 0.07 and 0.02 at 5% level of significance. Both Bareilly and SHUJALPUR market have high seasonal indices in the month of May and June indicated the high post-harvest arrivals in the months. The low arrivals in the month of August, January, and July indicated the shortage and speculation in the pulse market. There was an inverse relationship between arrival and prices of Bengal gram in the selected markets from the above findings.
Improvements: This study suggested for improvement in the infrastructure, transportation, storage facilities and there is need to strengthen the market information network.
- R.L. Kohls, J. N. Uhl. Marketing of agricultural product. Fifth Edition, Macmillan. New York. 1980, pp.600.
- MOHD. Asmatoddin, T.G. Satpute, V.S. Maske. Arrival and price behaviour of important oilseeds crops in PARBHANI district. International Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 2009; 5(2), 349-350.
- S.S. Acharya, N.L. Agrawal. Agricultural prices: analysis and policy. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co.Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi. 1995.
- C.P. Godara, S.R. Bhonde. Market arrivals and price trend of important fruits at AZADPURMANDI Delhi. Indian Journal of Marketing. 2006, 36(11), 32-35.
- I.T. William, M.L. Waller, S.H. Amosson. How to construct a seasonal index. AgriLife Communications and Marketing. The Texas A & M University System. 1998, 1-4.
- There are currently no refbacks.