Small Ruminant Value Chain in India: Opportunities and Constraints
Background/Objectives: To assess the importance of livestock (small ruminant) sector in employment generation and the role of markets in improving livestock value chain.
Methods/Statistical Analysis: The study is based on secondary data analysis. A need for a strong institutional mechanism to support small ruminant keepers and to improvise various activities in livestock value chain such as in Input, Production, Processing, and Distribution have been analysed.
Findings: The small ruminant sector makes an important contribution to Indian economy, provides sustenance to rural population, and leads to poverty alleviation. Apart from having healthy breed of livestock and marketing, processing is also an important step in enhancing value chain in livestock sector. The state with highest production of meat is Uttar Pradesh (19.1 per cent) followed by Andhra Pradesh (15.2 per cent) and West Bengal (10.9 per cent).Revenue of minimum ₹. 11,350 crores will be lost in the state of UP, due to ban on meat exports. For clean meat production and environment protection it is imperative that all slaughter houses of the country are registered. Assistance is required to make the sector organised and increase accessibility to necessary inputs, services and finance.
Improvements/Applications: Sensitisation of farmers on market demand of livestock is imperative to help realise better price in domestic market and will produce healthy pure breed goats for export. Linkages need to be created between goat farmers, processors, and exporters.
- National research centre on meat vision 2050. Indian Council of Agricultural Research. 2015.
- Ministry of Agriculture. 19th Livestock Census – 2012 All India Report. 2012, 1-130.
- Sustainable livelihood through small ruminant production. CALPI, SDC, Inter cooperation, New Delhi. 2005, 1-19.
- Indian meat industry. Red Meat Manual. Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority. 2009, 1-3.
- Shalander Kumar. Commercialization of goat farming and marketing of goats in India. Central Institute for Research on Goats. Agricultural Economics Research Review. 2007; 20, 503-520.
- UP slaughterhouses: All about the ₹. 15,000-cr industry that employs 25 lakh people. Date accessed: 30/04/2017.
- G. Legese, A. Haile, A.J. Duncan, T. Dessie, S. Gizaw, B. Rischkowsky. Sheep and goat value chains in Ethiopia: A synthesis of opportunities and constraints. International Livestock Research Institute. 2014, 1-37.
- There are currently no refbacks.